Sunday, September 28, 2008

One to go!

Treatment week is over and now only one more to go!

Something is weighing kind of heavy on my mind right now. Someone recently asked me how I was doing and I responded with "good." They asked me if I was all done with my surgeries and etc. and I responded with something like "yeah, I suppose for now." Then later this person said to me "well no one knows when their cancer is going to come back." This is just a hard part of this that I really don't know how to explain. I know that terrible tragedies happen to young and old people all the time. I also realize that there is always someone else out there who has it MUCH worse than myself. I do try to be very positive about my "situation," and I know that no one knows what tomorrow will bring and that no one is guaranteed a tomorrow here with their family. What I struggle with and feel as though it came across wrongly to this person was that with brain tumors they've (the Dr.'s and statistics) have always said that it's not IF the tumor will return but when. At my last apt. they told me that when the tumor begins to grow again the next step would most likely be surgery again followed by radiation. The Dr.'s also have told us from the beginning that they hoped for 2 to 3 years before the tumor returned. I do have hope that the tumor will not return and that I can be a miracle but the Dr.'s are very upfront with us and so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how to respond to these types of situations. I AM doing very well right now. I guess I know the reality of it all is that it's probably not over yet. That doesn't mean that I have lost hope. Sometimes I question my Faith, is it not strong enough? It's all confusing to me and to Mike for that matter. We want to celebrate that I'm done with chemo but we also can't help but silently wonder is this time off chemo going to be the calm before the storm? Maybe I responded wrong to this person's questions, I just don't know what to say. If someone asks how I'm feeling it's the truth when I say I'm feeling good. It is hard for me to get past what has been told to us about brain cancer and I try not to get lost in all the statistics but sometimes I do. So I hope I didn't come across wrongly to this person, I am optimistic about it all and trying also to be prepared mentally for what could be ahead.

All that being said, we have some very good news! Mike's mom got a call from the Dr.'s that the pathology report came back and it was benign! Whoo-who!! What a relief! Today I had the privilege of walking for my Aunt who IS a breast cancer survivor at the 5k in Toledo for Breast Cancer! It was a beautiful day and I was so glad to be able to go!

Goodnight for now! It's been a long week and I'm so ready for some serious sleep!!!!

Have a great week!

Love,
Jess

By the way this blog was originally created by Janel (friend and co-worker) to keep everyone updated. I have realized that some of you who may not have known that probably thought by the top part of the description of myself that I just really think highly of myself! I did not write those very nice things about myself although I find them very sweet! :)

4 comments:

Tyson Aschliman said...

Jesse, it is a blessing to feel "good". Every minute you have "good" is a beautiful thing. If at all possible, try to view it as a BLESSING that you're more in touch with your own "finite mortality" than are those who seek to understand you. You have this "cancer"-- the potential of it "coming back"-- as a constant reminder to live life fully as God intended, not wasting a single day. I can say the best year of Leslie's and my marriage-- the year we loved each other the best-- was that last year. I have never been as "alive" as I feel now. I don't know... Indeed, our prayers were answered. She's more "healed" now than I ever could have imagined possible-- oh that I might be healed like that someday!

I just want to encourage you that it's not your faith that is lacking. What's lacking is people's understanding that "healing" is ALWAYS temporary, this side of heaven, whether it's cancer, a "boo-boo", or a broken heart. Drink in the good days! Each one is a blessing! And it's okay... no... it's HEAVENLY... to say, when someone asks the question, that you're doing "Good!" Few people will ever taste the sweetness of a "good day" as you have tasted it. Yours is a gift... a blessing... not a curse. Praying for you and your family! (And for complete and even "temporary" healing) :)

Jill & Jessica Grant said...

Hi Jesse - I just read your last entry on your blog and was trying to find the right words for you. And then I read what Tyson wrote, and well, all I can say is read that 100 times! What an inspiration those words are. I only wish that I could write so eliquently. With that said I do have to tell you how great it was seeing you in Toledo the other week. After you walked away my hubby asked if you were the girl that used to cut my hair. When I said yes, he just did a double take and said "Wow! She looks fantastic". With that, I just elbowed him in the ribs and gave him a glare! :) But seriously, you look great, you feel great...what else is there really. Embrass the here & now and know that none of us know the outcome of any day. All we can hope for is to leave our mark on the world and hope that we accomplished in our lives what God had planned for us. And girl, you definitly have done that 100 times over! I keep telling you what an inspiration you have been to me and you've helped open my eyes to living each day to the fullest and enjoying all those little moments that we all tend to take for granted. So again thank you for that.

Kristen said...

You have a gift for writing your feelings so beautifully, Jess.

I read Tyson's comment and was completely covered in chills. It's true, you experience the sweetness of a good day in ways most of us don't know. You appreciate each day and relationship greater and know their value fully. What a beautiful way to live.

Always praying for you!!

Aaron and Lindsay said...

I have nothing to add except---we love you!!!! lots :)