Monday, October 20, 2008

Slow on the update.

Sorry that I have been so slow to update. There really isn't much more to say other than it was a good report in Cleveland last week. It was a very long day as usual. We waited about two hours to see my Oncologist which hasn't been typical but it was a very busy place that day and like Mike and I said she has often spent many hours with us and never made us feel rushed so we understand if they get behind. The scan looked obviously more clear to Mike and I. Dr. Tekautz (oncologist) called Thursday to let us know that the official report was that there was some slight improvement and no areas that had changed in a negative way. She also said that if I were to go back and there were some changes in my MRI (some tumor growth) that weren't significant she may put me back on the chemo I've been doing but a different regiment since I have responded so well to this treatment. She said I would more than likely take the meds for 21 days then have 7 off but I'm not sure how long she would have me do this. If I would go back at some point and there was significant growth she said I would then more than likely have surgery again followed by radiation and more chemo. It was such a busy day and we were so anxious to get on our way home that I failed to remember to ask her a few questions like: Will I have to continue to get my bi-weekly blood draw? Can I quit taking some of my meds that were to help with some of the problems chemo was causing on my body? So after this treatment I'm going to give her a call and ask a few more questions.

I was supposed to start my last treatment tonight but due to some sort of miscommunication (as my insurance called it) my meds did not get sent out as they were supposed to and I will not get them till tomorrow. It's really not a huge deal. It frustrates me just because I'm ready to do it and just want to get it done. It's mental. This indeed in my last one. It has been just over a year since I started chemo and this treatment will be round #14. I'm glad to be at this point and it feels like some sort of accomplishment to have made it here and still feel well. I have a lot of hope at this point. I struggle with some anxiety about being done but it's just not in my control. I do not like not being in control!!!! I anticipate that my next visits to Cleveland being off treatment might come with more anxiety than those while I've been taking chemo. I guess we'll take that on when it comes.

While we were at Cleveland we looked up a fellow brain cancer patient that we knew was having his second surgery in two years. I had been connected with him and his family through Ginny. So Mike and I stopped at the Doughbox on our way and picked up some fresh cookies for his family while they waited for his surgery to be over. I was nervous that it would seem weird that we were going to go up and introduce ourselves to people we had never met not to mention they were anxiously awaiting to hear that their husband/son etc was doing well after surgery. Well we were so glad we went and found them. We went there thinking we were going to be able to do something nice/good for them but walked away from them feeling like they had done much more for us. They were so encouraging, so positive, and so uplifting. Since then the last post I read was that he is doing well maybe even better than after his first surgery. So they had good news that day and so did we.

Mike and I tend to have a good in depth discussion after we leave church. Sometimes it's because I didn't get the sermon and I (this is really embarrassing to admit) ask him what exactly they were talking about. :) Don't get me wrong. I love the church we attend and part of what I love is that they make the message (usually) so clear and easily related. As most of you who know me well know that a lot goes over my head! :) Anyways, Mike and I were talking about all that has happened in the last year and all the things leading us up to this point. It was a good talk and everything seemed so clear to us. We often struggle with not being able to have more children but we KNOW that we have been SO blessed with Luke. He brings us the most pure, sweet, innocent joy. Last Sunday when we were having one of these talks we talked so much about Luke and the timing of everything. We were for the moment able to ease some of our feelings about not having anymore. Everyday we are thankful for Luke!

Treatment will start tomorrow and I will update after that.

Have a great week!

Love,
Jess

P.S. I know something you don't know! :) I love being able to say that! HA!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Jess, you're such a cool person. You probably don't even realize how much I adore the person you are.

I celebrate with you in your good report.

Aaron and Lindsay said...

haha.
Love you lots. Thanks for the awesome example you are!

Hi, I'm Harmony said...

Congrats on the good news. Congrats on the peace that you and Mike feel. Congrats on the wonderful relationship the two of you have, and the beautiful son you created together. You truly are an inspiration!

Hugs!

~Harmony

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, what a blessing you are to everyone that knows you! (even to people that don't) So glad to hear your good news, and will continue to pray that you are blessed more than you could ever imagine.
Always in our prayers,
Jill

osustamm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

oops...this is my 2nd time posting this. I deleted it the first time because I didn't realize it was Mike that was signed into blogger and not me. So this time I'm leaving this comment under me. I hope that wasn't confusing.

The Melting Pot is on Monroe St just off of 475. The food was so good. It was fun once but we don't expect to go again because it was quite experience. If we ever do go again we'd go for just the dessert, which would be much more affordable and still yummy fun.